Cyber Security is an essential part of technological growth that the world as a protective system against malicious attacks.
It is also an essential part of the 21st century for protecting your computer system from digital threats. For example, thefts and damage to hardware, software, and electronic data.
In the United Kingdom (UK), Cyber Security programmes help to develop analytical and operational knowledge of areas related to cyber technology. The students of Cyber Security learn necessary IT skills including Big Data Hadoop, Cisco-Networking, Ethical Hacking, and Digital Marketing. These pieces of knowledge prepare students for a successful career in the field of Cyber Security.
Reasons for Studying Cyber Security in the UK
- When it comes to battling cyber terrorism, the UK is one of the most proactive nations in the world. British universities offer the best Cyber Security courses around the world.
- UK’s computing labs, infrastructure, academic facilities, and virtual labs are the most advanced in the world.
- Universities situated in the UK are globally recognized for their higher educational institutions, teaching strategies, and academic curriculum.
- A large number of UK universities offer flexibility with course content to choose modules on the basis of individual interests and field of specialization.
Categories of Cyber Security Course in the UK
Cyber security is essentially about the protection of information and information systems. In this course, you will learn how to perform this protective role, exploring different security technologies and studying management processes and control systems.
The UK universities prove it’s worth providing the best and most advanced level of a learning experience as well as business and technology expertise all over the world. There are some categories as well as subdivisions as Cyber Security deals with computer and software systems. The subdivisions are:
- Penetration Testing and Ethical Vulnerability Scanning
- Computer Forensics and Information Security
- Security Investment and Management
- Optimal Information Security Investment
- Operational Security Management
- Security Strategies
- Risk Management
- Microsoft Cloud Computing and Cyber Security
- Information Technology Management and Cyber Security
- Application Security
- Information or Data Security
- Disaster Recovery/ Business Continuity Planning
- Critical Infrastructure Security
- Information Security with IBM
- Physical Security
- Network and Infrastructure Security
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) Security
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
- Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
- Comp TIA Security+
- Certified Information System Security Professionals (CISSP)
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- NIST Cyber Security Framework (NCSF)
- Certified Cloud Security Professionals (CCSP)
- Digital Forensics and Incident Response
- Endpoint Protection and Mobile Security
- Data Governance, Risk and Compliance, and so on
The Importance of Cyber Security in the UK
In the last few years, the UK is one of those places that have demonstrated extensive growth in IT. Moreover, the growth has launched a higher demand for jobs in the Cyber Security sector. However, employers are tasked with finding professionals with the appropriate skill set. Many universities in the UK now offer Cyber Security courses equipping students with a wide range of skills to cater to this demand.
Career and Work Experience in Cyber Security in the UK
Studying in the UK challenges the network of industry contacts. Thus, UK graduates are welcomed cordially all over the world. Furthermore, the need for skilled software developers and IT security specialists are increasing with time. In addition, when it comes to considering a secure career in IT Security, the industry offers job security along with a smart salary. You’ll also discover a wealthy career path to specialize in.
In the field of Cyber Security, professionals have opportunities to learn smartly and take immediate initiatives for ultimate solutions. The UK graduates are highly employable for exclusive skills. Moreover, the latest technology protects all digital information from cyber-attacks. Some challenging job in this field are:
- Cyber Security Engineer
- Penetration Tester
- Professional Services
- Security Consultancies
- Information Technology Companies and Network Providers
UK Universities for Studying Cyber Security
Some top-notch UK universities that offer BSc and MSC in Cyber Security are:
- University of York: The course will give you the skills and knowledge you need in the core areas of cyber security. You’ll also learn the theories, principles, practices, and technologies of this field. As a result, the students will gain knowledge and understanding of the principles underpinning effective approaches to cyber defence. The students will also learn important technical material that will help them make effective cyber security decisions and addresses issues such as identity, trust and reputation, cryptography, network security.
At York, the first half of the course is taken up by taught modules. Each of those modules comprises a mix of lectures, problem classes and practical classes, plus personal study time. In addition, the second half of the course will be research-based. The students will be given an individual research project under a supervisor. It’ll be a full-time degree and international students are expected to pay £24,500 yearly.
- University of Surrey: MSc in Information Security sits within the renowned Department of Computer Science and the outstanding Surrey Center for Cyber Security. The university is recognized as a gold standard Academic Center of Excellence in Cyber Security Education. The department of MSc in Information Security connects various disciplines from Computer Science, Mathematics and Business, to design and critically analyze concepts, mechanisms and technologies used in the depth and breadth of Cyber Security. The course is a full time 1-year long course with a placement year.
- De Montfort University: This course directly addresses the unprecedented demand for cyber security expertise. The students will study a diverse range of modules at this university. Such as Cyber Threat Intelligence, Malware Analysis, and Penetration Testing and Incident Response. International students have outstanding results equivalent to UK’s 2.1 Honors. Moreover, the students offer three intakes (September, February, June) for enrolling in this department. Also, if English is not the first language you’ve to submit your English proficiency score.
In the end, international students have a lot more reasons to pick the UK for their higher studies destination along with the above causes. So, if you have the opportunity to study in the UK, grab the opportunity because it is definitely a worthy decision.