The Staff Selection Committee (SSC) and the Railway Recruitment Board (RRB) both conduct national-level entrance examinations annually to select candidates for the job profile of Junior Engineer in different departments. Both the examinations are highly competitive, and every year, many candidates appear for a limited number of seats. Sometimes, the candidates get confused between the two. So, this article will provide a detailed insight into both the exams and their competitive nature.
The BYJU’S Exam Prep helps candidates prepare for SSC JE and RRB JE examinations by providing them with several mock papers, study materials, online classes, previous year papers, and multiple quizzes. With support like this, a candidate can prepare and do well in these exams.
SSC JE vs. RRB JE
The debate on whether the SSC JE or RRB JE is tougher always takes place between the candidates. But, it is important to understand the two exams and decide which is better for the candidates.
Both the examinations are conducted by the national governing body. The requirements, qualifications, and eligibility differ for the two exams. But what remains constant is the high number of candidates who appear for the exams. Let us look at the major points of both the exams and understand which exam is tougher to crack.
SSC JE Exam
- The SSC conducts the examination every year for various job profiles all over India. The candidates for the SSC JE job are selected from this exam.
- The minimum age to sit for the exam is 18 years, and the maximum is 32 years.
- The exam is conducted in two phases.
- The first phase is a two-hour objective-based online test consisting of 200 questions.
- The subjects for the exam are general intelligence, general awareness, and general engineering.
- The second phase is the subjective round based on the core subject (civil, mechanical, and electrical) and is of 300 marks.
- The candidates have to choose among the three core subjects. This exam dives deeper into the core subjects.
- The selection rate for this exam is between 100-200 out of every 1000 students.
- The salary range of an SSC JE is between Rs 35,000- 1,12,400/- based on the experience and job profile.
- Selected candidates are posted in MES, CPWD, and the postal departments all over India.
- This is a desk-based job with good growth in the career as experience increases.
- The RRB conducts the examination every year for various job profiles like Junior Engineer (JE), Junior Engineer (IT), Chemical & Metallurgical Assistant (CMA), and Depot Material Superintendent (DMS).
- The minimum age to sit for the exam is 18 years, and the maximum age is 32 years.
- The RRB JE is conducted in three phases.
- The first phase is a 90-minute computer-based test-based, including RRB JE syllabus topics on maths, general intelligence & reasoning, general science, and general awareness.
- The second phase is a 120-minutes computer-based test based on physics, chemistry, computer, environment & pollution control, technical abilities, and general awareness.
- The third phase is the document verification and medical round. The candidates have to furnish the required documents, which would be verified by the officials, and a standard medical check-up would be done. Once cleared, the candidates would be selected for the role of RRB JE.
- The selection rate of an RRB JE is between 100-300 out of 1000 candidates.
- The salary range of RRB JE is between Rs 13,500- Rs 36,425/- based on experience and job role. There are three class ranges in the RRB JE job profile.
- They are posted in CMA and DMS departments.
- This is a field job with limited career growth.
After going through the details about both SSC JE and RRB JE, the candidates would have got a clear picture of both the exams. Both the exams are equally competitive, but looking at the exam pattern of SSC JE, it has a slight edge on the RRB JE exam. But, the candidates should remember that both are difficult to clear, and many candidates appear for both exams every year. The selection chances of candidates in both exams are more or less the same.
The candidates can apply for both exams. But they need to check the syllabus, exam pattern, and eligibility before applying. The details of the exam will be available on the respective official website. The students can download the information and start their respective preparation.
Both the exams, SSC JE and the RRB JE, are competitive in terms of candidates selection and exam pattern. So, considering these criteria, the candidates need to prepare well to clear the examination. They should understand the syllabus, exam pattern of both the exams before starting their preparation. With BYJU’S Exam Prep, the candidates can prepare for both the exams with updated mock exams, live classes, and multiple quizzes.